Saturday, January 28, 2012

Its a ........boy...??? Its ......a umbilical cord?.. Who knows!

Well Friday the 27th finally came. I had my ultrasound. Thank goodness we did not have a repeat of the last ultrasound. If you remember, I literally almost peed my pants. I got up at 6:30 am to drink my 32 oz of water. That is 4 measuring cups worth of water. It doesn't sound that bad until you realize you can't empty your bladder once you start drinking. Not so fun. I learned at my next ultrasound I won't have to drink all that water. Yay!!

Ok, down to business. We show up to our 7:30 am appointment very nervous to know what our little critter is. The first thing we see when we locate the baby is this:


 We were told by the ultrasound tech that our little thing was a boy. This little baby was not shy! I felt totally relieved to have an answer. I was proud that all of my hard work towards having an open mind helped me with any disappointment. I was really actually so happy to see my amazing little piece of art. Later, when we saw the doctor he told us that he wasn't convinced that the pictures were showing a boy. He thought that it was possible that we were seeing umbilical cord. He said don't go out and do anything crazy, don't buy anything. Ummmmmm...... that's not going to work doc! I have been dying to go shopping. I was actually planning on going shopping the next day. The doc wants me back in 2 weeks for another ultrasound to verify the sex of the baby.

This ultrasound was scheduled to see the anatomy of the baby. We got to see all of the little vital parts of our creature. One of the absolute cutest parts about our baby were the feet. They were so cute in live action on the screen, just kicking away. The ultrasound tech said I won't feel any kicks or jabs for a bit because my placenta is over the baby. Some people have theirs under the baby, which gives the quickening a lot earlier. I will have to wait for that too. Ugh. All I do is wait, wait, wait! I'm so impatient!
 The ultrasound tech started from top to bottom of the baby, measuring each important part. They had a whole check list of items we needed to see in the ultrasound to track the progress. The below picture is a shot of the brain. That little cutie clearly shows of both his right and left hemispheres of the brain as well as the cerebellum. I hope that little brain is developing nicely so it can get some nice scholarships later in life!
 Another super cool part of an ultrasound is seeing the tiny little heart flicker on the screen. Now that my baby is bigger, you can actually see the 4 chambers of the heart. The ultrasound tech slows down the frames and tries to capture a clear picture of the heart and its chamber. This picture is a little hard to see, but on the video it is clear. The also measured its heart rate which was at 145. Its got a steady strong little heart beat. So cute!
 This picture really interests me. It was intended to show the bladder but I see something interesting. In this shot, you don't see anything in between the legs. Now of course I'm not any expert at looking at ultrasounds, but I'm surprised she didn't investigate further. I guess we were so sure of it being a boy from the beginning she may not have noticed. To the left of the bladder I can clearly see 2 little femurs. I don't see diddly squat between those two little femurs. When I looked up girl ultrasounds you could see 3 lines in place of a lump for the boy parts, to keep it PG. I see 2 lines in my ultrasound but not 3....hmmmm... puzzling. I'm probably just over thinking it. Who knows. I'll wait my 2 weeks to find out for sure before I work myself up.
 This picture is pretty cool because it shows you were the umbilical cord goes into the baby. So creepy and cool at the same time. Thank goodness for that little cord of life!!
 This picture shows my little naughty baby covering its face up. You can see the formation of a hand and fingers. The ultrasound requested that we come back for another ultrasound because they have to count the fingers. The baby was moving its arms around so much we couldn't see the hands for more than a second at  a time. Our little creature is a jokester. When ever we got a glimpse of its face, it quickly put its arms over it. It was hilarious. It was as if it knew we were trying to get a look at the face. He was playing peekaboo with us for sure. We were really lucky to have this shot of the fingers! I just wish we got a picture of the face.
 The next 2 pictures are side profiles of my cute little baby. Its so funny to see that this baby already looks like me. Its totally got my profile. Its got no chin and a huge forehead. One of my friends said "Well you don't know where the hair will start" I told her listen honey, this baby is going to have a massive forehead. I didn't have hair until I was about 3 so I'm hoping it gets Eric's genes in that regard. He is a hairy little beast. We joked that the baby would have big bushy eyebrows and a beard in the ultrasound. In his dreams! I think the nose is the second cutest thing on my baby next to its little feet. Its so small and round but actually quite pointy on the tip. Its got a cute little button nose. That head looks enormous too! Wow, I hope the growth on that slows down or we are in for a bumpy ride.

So overall, the ultrasound tech said our baby is healthy. It is even bigger than it is supposed to be. She said that it is a week more developed than I am pregnant. So that's a good thing. I just hope that means this baby isn't going to be a 10 pound-er. That would be brutal on such a tiny person like me. They said they won't change my due date because it has to be a full 2 weeks more developed to do that.

Good news about the visit is I think I finally chose my doctor. I was really against having a male doctor at first because it was a really uncomfortable idea to me. I have always had female doctors. We saw Dr. Grayson Guzman by accident. The lady we were supposed to see that day was late. This guy is a firecracker!! He is young but super super super knowledgeable. I bet he's about 32-35. He was hilarious and so blunt about everything. I told him about my passing out incident this week and had lots of information about it. He was so funny. He kept asking me how much I eat and I said about 6 times a day. He said "Honey, I need you eating 10-12 times a day. And you wonder why you are passing out!" He also said that he wants to see a big W between my baby's legs before he will tell me its a boy. HA! Eric loved him! I was actually so surprised we liked him so much. He's a new dad too. He gave us more information that we have ever received at any of our appointments. He will be starting a new program that will take him over to Mercy Gilbert hospital. This is a plus because the doctor we had selected before does not deliver there. I'm super excited. Eric and I walked out of the appointment with big grins on our faces. We both just totally agreed that he was our guy.

So overall it was an awesome appointment. I even got a free massage coupon to use since I had to see a different doctor. This is the second one they have given me. I just love this doctors office. I'm really anxious to get to my next appointment. February 10th....... that's so long! Oh well. I'm just glad we probably will know for sure and I can shop in confidence. I will keep you all updated. Wish us luck for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment